Fifth man arrested over ‘acid attack’ on boy, 3

0

A fifth man has been arrested over a suspected acid attack on a three-year-old boy in Worcester.

The 41-year-old man from Wolverhampton is being held on suspicion of conspiracy to commit grievous bodily harm, West Mercia Police said.

Police believe the boy was deliberately targeted when a substance was sprayed or thrown towards him in a Home Bargains store on Saturday.

The youngster, who was in a pushchair with his family at the time of the attack, was treated in hospital after suffering serious burns to his face and an arm.

A 39-year-old man from Wolverhampton and three men, aged 22, 25 and 26, from London have already been arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to commit grievous bodily harm and remain in custody.

Suspects
Image: Police released images of three suspects following the incident

Detective Inspector Jim Bayliss said: “Our officers are continuing to work extremely hard on this investigation.

“At this time we believe this to be an isolated incident and there is not a wider risk to the public.”

The child was discharged from hospital on Sunday but the long-term implications of his injuries are as yet unknown.

Police have said they do not believe the attack was race-related after a far-right English Defence League march took place nearby.

Chief Superintendent Mark Travis said: “I would like to be very, very clear – there is no evidence to suggest that in any way this incident is motivated by race or anything to do with the EDL protest.”

Police previously released three images of three suspects who were in the store at Shrub Hill Retail Park.

The men may have information vital to the investigation, say police
Image: The men left the store shortly after the suspected acid attack

They were seen walking close to the little boy and left shortly after the suspected acid attack.

Mr Travis said: “We are keeping all of the options open but at the moment we consider it was a deliberate act against the little boy.

“It’s an awful incident and we’re really, really concerned about this.

More from UK

“Worcester is a really, really safe place. It’s very unusual to have any form of attack like this.”

Worcester City Council leader Marc Bayliss described the attack as “absolutely pure evil”, while local MP Robin Walker called it “horrific” and said the “shock will be universal”.

From – SkyNews

Share.

Comments are closed.

Positive SSL