Senior North Korean official Kim Yong Chol and US secretary of state Mike Pompeo have had a “good” meeting in New York.
The rare visit comes ahead of the potential summit between the leaders of the two countries next month.
The White House has said the on-off meeting on 12 June in Singapore is “expected” to take place still, despite some jitters.
US officials have said early meetings preparing for the America-North Korea summit have been positive.
Mr Pompeo tweeted a few hours after Mr Kim landed in the city: “Good working dinner with Kim Yong Chol in New York tonight. Steak, corn, and cheese on the menu.”
Kim Yong Chol is the highest-level representative from North Korea to set foot in the US since 2000.
The official, who will meet Mr Pompeo again on Thursday, arrived at New York’s John F Kennedy airport on a flight from Beijing.
He was later seen entering a hotel in midtown Manhattan.
“The US delegation led by ambassador Sung Kim met with North Korean officials today as well and their talks will
continue,” White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said.
“So far the read-outs from these meetings have been positive and we’ll continue to move forward in them.”
“We’re going to continue to shoot for the June 12 and expect to do that,” she added, referring to the original date scheduled for the summit.
Mr Trump last week called off the summit after North Korea expressed anger at comments by US officials.
But the president later said he was reconsidering his position and US, North Korean and South Korean officials have gone ahead with preparations anyway.
Meanwhile, the outgoing head of US pacific command, who is Mr Trump’s pick to be the ambassador to South Korea, has said North Korea remains America’s most imminent threat.
“North Korea remains our most imminent threat. And a nuclear-capable North Korea with missiles that can reach the
United States is unacceptable,” Admiral Harry Harris said in a change-of-command speech.
From – SkyNews